From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Alan
Lemly
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 2:59 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: My experience updating to iOS 16 from iOS 15.61 on my iPhone 13 Mini

Hi List,

I thought some who have yet to update to iOS 16 might like reading about my
experience earlier today. Here are the steps I followed in this process:

  1.  I had 107 app updates in the App Store so I updated all of them before
starting the iOS update.
  2.  I opened the App switcher and closed any running apps.
  3.  I went to Settings, my Apple ID account (topmost item), iCloud, iCloud
backup, and executed the Backup now button.
  4.  I opened iTunes on my Windows 10 desktop computer and updated it to the
most recent version.
  5.  I connected my iPhone 13 Mini to the computer and did an encrypted backup
with iTunes.
  6.  I went to Settings, General, Software update, and swiped past iOS 15.7 to
iOS 16 and started the update process. Be aware that I had not previously
downloaded the update file to my iPhone so this was without anything done
previously to speed up the process.
  7.  I recorded the start time at 11:50am and the process was complete by
12:26pm and my wifi is not tremendously fast.
  8.  My Voiceover voice is Samantha Enhanced and my Siri voice is US English
number 4 which I left untouched before the update.

Here are my post-update comments:

  1.  I’ve restarted my iPhone 3 times since the update, twice with a hard
reset and once with powering off and then back on. I’ve had no issues with
Voiceover not reading the passcode screen after these restarts. I don’t much
care for the no home button gestures to go Home and the App Switcher using that
single finger slide up from the bottom so I’ve customized my own gestures for
doing this. I had to do my customized Home gesture before the number pad screen
opened allowing me to enter my passcode but Voiceover spoke each time.
  2.  From past updates, I’m aware that it sometimes takes a few hours before
Voiceover is speaking exactly as it did before the update. I’ve also noticed as
have others that Samantha Enhanced sounds a bit muddy as compared to her
pre-update sound. For example, each time she speaks iCloud, it sounds more like
she’s saying iClod.
  3.  About all I’ve done is to go through the native Mail app and delete a
bunch of messages but that process seemed to work pretty much the same as it
did before the update.
  4.  I perused the various new voices but none of them impressed me so I’ve
left Voiceover set to Samantha Enhanced.
  5.  Notifications seem to be working about the same as usual. Personally, I’m
getting very close to turning off most of my notifications because they seem to
pop up at the most inopportune times and most of them read more like
advertising than anything I need to know about.

I hope some will find this helpful.

Alan Lemly

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/018a01d8ce05%2455e74d90%2401b5e8b0%24%40gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/018a01d8ce05%2455e74d90%2401b5e8b0%24%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.