There are a few ways to transfer files to and from an iOS or iPadOS device, some geekier than others:

1. Via Dropbox

By far the easiest way is to put Dropbox on every computer, phone and tablet you own. Just like iCloud, put something in Dropbox on one device, it appears on all the others.

2. Purchase an external drive and adapter and use an application to read that drive on your phone or tablet.

Attach the drive to your computer, load it up with whatever you want, then plug it into your phone and transfer the files from the drive to the phone using the Files or File Browser application.

3. From a Mac, just use iCloud Drive, or see below for how to set up a network share:

4. Set up a network share on the system with the files to which you want access:

Here's how to do it from the gospel according to Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/file-sharing-over-a-network-in-windows-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

Here's how to do it on a Mac:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-file-sharing-on-mac-mh17131/mac

On the iOS or iPadOS device, open Files or File Browser (if you have that application) and add a network share as appropriate. You'll need the IP address of your computer, and a username/password to access it. It's the same username/password you use to log into it for normal use. If you don't log in to your Windows machine but, as I do, have the thing come up at the Desktop and you've forgotten your username, you can get that from Control Panel by searching for "user" and choosing the appropriate option. Set up your Windows network share to be as inclusive as you like because only you have access to it over your local area network. Even those who visit your network won't have access to it because they will presumably not know the password to that system even if they know your username, so you're secure.