From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of M. Taylor
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2022 3:50 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Cc: vipho...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Is it safe to remove phone from list

Hello Max,

Wow!  I am so surprised at your reply from Apple.

There was a time when Apple maintained a list of stolen phones which would
prevent the phone from being activated.

In fact, a friend of mine purchased a phone off of Craigslist and when we tried
to activate it, it failed to do so.

When I called Apple, on his behalf, I was told that the phone, based on the
IMEI number, had been placed on a special list because it had been reported as
stolen.  Granted, this was many, many years ago but I find it difficult to
believe that this system has been abandoned.

I agree with you that the phone has, more likely than not, been abandoned as
the thief could not activate it but, still, perhaps you should consider erasing
the device?  I believe that if you elect to erase the phone, then, when next
powered on, it will automatically erase itself but still be tied to your
account.

As I think about this, were I in your situation, I would erase the phone and
leave it on my account for, at least, 1 year or so.  Then, after that, I might,
might remove it from my account.  As far as I know, leaving it associated with
your account is not hurting anything and does not pose a security risk to you.

Just some food for thought.

Mark