If you waited this long and considering we are now half way to the next major
Apple September release, I would probably keep the series 3 Apple Watch and
upgrade to one of the new Apple Watches this fall which I assume will be the
series 9.
I never bought the initial Apple Watch, but my wife and I bought the second
Generation and then we upgraded a few years later to the Apple Watch 5th
generation and we both still have them. I remember that going from 2nd to 5th
generation came with a big speed bump and I was definitely not unhappy as at
times using my 2nd generation was painfully sluggish.

Now I am still quite happy with the 5th generation except for using it in the
pool and here I really don't know if a new 8th generation watch would be much
better, but I find it extremely frustrating and useless for use in water.
First of all, even when I don't yet have waterlock on, I find the watch very
difficult to use when I have wet fingers and the watch is just a bit wet on the
touch screen.
Secondly, once I start my pool swim workout and waterlock engages, the watch is
entirely useless for a Voiceover user until you press and hold the digital
crown to turn waterlock off, then at first if you still have wet fingers you
again deal with the frustration of the touch screen either not reacting well or
doing all sorts of things you don't want it to do; it foten goes to the third
workout screen which is your currently playing screen, then you have to try to
get it back to the second screen if I want to see actually any details about
how long I was swimming and how many length I did and so on. I really have to
get into the habit to bring a small towel or something so I can wipe the watch
dry and dry my fingers.
Lastly, even at 100% volume it's not easy to hear what Voiceover is saying in a
pool setting where there is echo and typically a good amount of background
noise. I am thinking I should maybe try one of these waterproof headsets you
can get to see if that wouldn't improve the quality of the watch experience
because I regularly find myself saying not very nice things to my watch and
Apple for making it so difficult.
I am pretty sure a sighted person can tap the screen or press the digital crown
or side button when the watch is in waterlock and they can see all the
information about their workout so it's annoying that as a Voiceover user that
information is not accessible, why can't it be set up so that pressing the
digital crown and/or side button wouuld tell Voiceover it should read the
important workout data such as time and how many length I have done etc. I
understand the Apple Watch 8 Ultimate or whatever it is called is quite a bit
louder so that might be helpful in this setting, but I'd be really interested
to hear from others who regularly use their Apple Watch for swimming workouts
if they found any work-arounds for that problems I am describing. because
crystal