Sorry, forgot to make the "GoodMaps
Outdoors<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/goodmaps-outdoors/id945756779>" title
into a link in my previous message.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2023 11:10 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: GPS Apps That Will Announce Street Names

Can you provide a link because I think you are mixing up a number of old and
new apps.
There used to be an app called Nearby Explorer from American Printing House and
the nof course there was the Seeing Eye GPS app which still seems to be
lingering in the app store. I did, however, not find anything any more when I
searched for Nearby Explorer.

To my knowledge there are now just the two apps from GoodMaps Inc.,:

GoodMaps Outdoors
This is what the Seeing Eye GPS used to be, very similar app layout, the
description is as follows:
GoodMaps Outdoors is a fully accessible turn-by-turn GPS app for iPhone. It has
all the outdoor navigation features you expect plus unique offerings you cannot
get anywhere else, including extra verbosity for blind users.
• Four main tabs are easy to access at the bottom of the screen: Routes,
Location (Default), POIs and Settings.
• A unique GoodMaps Outdoors feature: Record a route using breadcrumbs, called
Waypoints. No other accessible app has this. You can add these waypoints with
the add button or you can shake the phone to create a Waypoint. It also
automatically records a point after you have gone a certain distance. These
Waypoint routes can be saved for future use.
• The Lookaround Wand in the top right tells you what is around.
• The More Info button gives the altitude and speed.
• Create your own POIs and share your POIs with others or keep them private
with a shortcut on the Location page or from the POIs page.
• POI categories are announced with search results and make finding your
destination easier.
• Audio tones and vibrations give feedback throughout the app, letting you know
about upcoming turns, critical intersection information, and when search is
• A robust route menu includes multiple methods of choosing a destination, from
starting with a POI, an address from your contact list, your route history, and
many more!
• Settings include many customization options like: vibrations, vision
contrast, color settings, and distance units.
• There are announcement options like right, left, clockface or both.

GoodMaps Explore<https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/goodmaps-explore/id1524698552>
This seems to be focusing more on indoor navigation in what are referred to as
"mapped locations", the first part of the description is as follows:
Discover the world with GoodMaps Explore.
Accurate indoor* and outdoor† information and navigation for people who are
blind or visually impaired.
The "* and †" notations are explained further down as follows:
*† where available