It is up to you and it is usually perfectly fine to restore from the
old unless you wre having some kind of issue that might have gotten
saved in the backup. It is often an advantage to restore it from the
backup. It's like putting the exact image of what was on the old one
on the new hardware. The reason you lost your existing texts when you
restored is likely because the process overwrote any existing data, it
did not combine the data on the phone with the backup. You did not do
anything wrong, it's just how the process works in that case.