Hi, when your phone is connected to the computer with iTunes, arrow down to the devices section and select your connected iPhone. Then tab to the music button. If you use Windows this can sometimes be called a tab or radio button. Press space to select that. Now as you tab, you will get to the music syncing section. If you want to just remove all music or podcasts from the iPhone you can choose to not sync music. That will get rid of everything. However if you want to just erase what's on there and later add something else, or if you want to remove something and add something else in the next sync, then you will need to keep tabbing to the table of playlists, albums, artists and then check or uncheck with the space bar which ones you want and which ones you don't want.

On a personal note, checking music by artists and songs has always been very tedious for me because I have well over 100 thousand audio tracks in my library. So, what I do instead is create playlists of music I want. I have one for example called Raul 80s. Then to that list I add or remove what I want and just tell the iPhone to sync that playlist. This way as I add or remove songs to and from the playlists I am syncing, I don't have to go pick and choose from this grid.

Hope that makes sense. It sounds complicated, but is really not once you've done it. I have to say that as much as I can't stand iTunes, it really does a good job at syncing things like music and apps once you learn it.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?