The benefit Sieghard of locking phones is the great deals companies
offer to attract new business.  They can offer hundreds of dollars off
the cost of a new iPhone.  Often these deals require someone to sign
up for a pricy phone plan they do not need. Over a two or three-year
period, it would be a lot cheaper to pay full price for the iPhone
from Apple and sign up for service from a MVNO.  At other times, the
service can be reasonably priced and the iPhone deal is lucrative.
Consumers need to not just look at the phone discount but the price of
the service as well. Overall, when companies compete for our business,
we win.

Kelly