Firstly conggrats on that new toy! To turn VoiceOver on/off, it's triple-clicking the side button, found on the right side, at the same level where the Power button is on your iPhone 8. I've never felt a phone without a Home button, but they say the Side button is larger than the Power button we've used tin.
The gestures for Home, Notifications, etc., are easy to learn: they involve swiping from the bottom up, until you hear a click; the very first first click you hear is when yrfinger is rositioned ready to start flicking up, thus the 2nd click is for the Home screen, and the 3rd one is for the App Switcher.
gestures the other way around: starting fthe top (sort of where you talk on the phone), the very first click is your initial position, from which if you swipe downto the 2nd click you're at the Notification (or is it Control Center because I don'th my iPad with me), bei way 2 clicks is either the Control Center Center, and the 3rd click downwards is the Notification Center.
I never thought I'd say this, but I wish iMhones hadaway (lthe iPads), to perform these gestures so as not not to wear out the Home buttons! Thanks to myexperiences with my 9th Generation iPad which still have the Home button, but too the ability to qgform the gestures, I'm ready to take the plunge for my successor iPhone to; one without the Home button. Good luck with your new iPhone!
Gera