Hi all,

This is going to be a rather lengthy post, so don’t say I didn’t warn ya.

I was born in 1954. My parents gave me musical toys to play with as early as
when I was one-and-a-half years old, and I used to pick out tunes that I heard
on the radio or on television. One of those musical toys was a little plastic
guitar which I would tune up to a major chord. I was mystified by those little
ridges on the neck which I later learned were called frets and that pushing the
strings down behind those frets would let me go way beyond the chord that I’d
tuned the guitar to.

In 1963 I discovered the piano, and when my family would go to visit relatives
or friends, the first thing I’d do upon entering their houses would see if I
could find one to bang around on. Once I figured out the note relationships I
could then try to replicate what I hear on the radio, on TV or in church. My
folks got me started on piano lessons so in addition to learning a bit of
Braille music I got an early education  in theory. But by then I got bit by the
rock ‘n roll bug and was fascinated by the sounds of the electric guitar on
records by the Beatles, Stones, Dave Clark Five, the Kinks  and the Who. I
discovered some neighborhood kids who also played and loved rock music and we
actually put together a little rock band with me on keys. We did our first gig
at a bar mitzvah party in the spring of 1966 and gigged frequently throughout
that summer. Dad bought me a combo organ and an amp and that was my rig for a
number of years. Seems I’ve always had some sort of band to gig with both on
keyboards and guitar and I’m still doing it at age 70. Anyway, back then in
1966 the guys would leave their guitars and basses down in my basement where we
practiced, and I began to explore the guitar by ear and had all sorts of fun
figuring out how they worked. Playing organ was lots of fun but I knew that
some day I’d find a way to get my own guitar. In late 1967 two things happened
for me that strengthened my resolve to get a guitar. I heard WLS out of Chicago
playing Cream’s Sunshine of Your Love, and I’d never ever heard a guitar sound
like that. Then, shortly thereafter my local station in Kansas City, WHB, ran
their Tuesday night segment called Make It Or Break It, in which a brand-new
single was introduced. If the audience liked it it would go into heavy
rotation; if not, the DJ would break the single in half and throw it in the
trash.  On the night in question, the new single was Foxey Lady by Jimi
Hendrix. . That was a total mindF**k for me and I said to myself, I wanna do
that. I loved the power of Eric’s and Jimi’s guitar sounds

BTW, Foxey Lady was broken in half and trashed much to my extreme chagrin.

Fast forward a few months and my sister’s boyfriend’s brother gave me a 1962
Gibson SG Junior which I still have to this day and I was free to set about
really learning the instrument. Trouble was, I learned it Jeff Healey-style,
playing overhand with the guitar lying on my lap. My bandmates gave me grief
about playing that way and showed me how to properly hold the guitar and proper
fingering. From then on, I was off and running.  It was much easier to play
that way and imitate the likes of Eric, Jimi, Johnny Winter, Peter Frampton,
Leslie West, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, all of whom
influenced me in one way or another back then. I also picked up an acoustic
guitar and learned a bit about slide guitar and also fingerpicking, plus
different tunings used by the likes of Joni Mitchell, Stephen Stills, David
Crosby and others. . That’s been loads of fun and challenging in the bargain.

I guess to sum it all up, my modus operandi has always been to try to figure
things out by ear and try to replicate what I’ve heard. If you’ve got the ear
for it, grab your axe, tune into as much music as you can and woodshed, just
play and play and play. Find some buddies to hang and jam with and go for it.
It can be a tremendous learning experience and a hell of a lot of fun.

Tom