The only time I have seen this is if my default contacts account got switched.
I leave mine on Outlook so it syncs with my Outlook contacts on my computer. But, I had an issue that required deleting that account and setting it up again.  Well, Contacts switched to iCloud and had me thinking I lost a bunch of contacts.  Once I figured that out, and set it right., all was fine

Richard, USA

"INTROVERTS UNITE ...

SEPARATELY IN YOUR OWN HOMES"

-- as seen on a T-shirt with a power fist raised

My web site: https://www.turner42.com

(sent from my iPhone 13 pro)