Yep, I'm thinking it's a problem with my iPhone 5. The strange thing
is, I've swapped my 5 for an unrelated issue and the older iPhone 5
exhibited the exact same problem. So if it's a hardware problem of
some kind, then I coincidentally would have had to get two iPhone 5s
with the same problem, which is definitely not impossible of course
but a bit of a coincidence.

I'm giving Apple Care a call now and will update with any resolution;
should anybody have any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

Grant