Well this is interesting. Some say it's for the logo, some say it's not. Since I don't have an iPhone 5 or the case for it, I can't really say. However based on past experiences with the Otter Box Defender cases for the iPhone 3GS and 4/4S, they've always had a larger circle hole on the back to display the Apple logo. But, since I don't have this particular case, what do I know...

--
Raul A. Gallegos
As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two... - Sir Norman Wisdom