I mentioned this some days ago, and nobody suggested a fix. So today I stopped at the AT&T store. My phone connects to WIFI just fine. But when I go out and about, it reports 'no service', and when I try to access Ariadne, Weather, or any other service requiring internet, it tells me I'm not connected to the internet.

the AT&T man said it's an AT&T iPhone 5 bug, which will be corrected in a future software release. The current solution is, while you are away from wifi, reboot the phone. It will then be forced to search for LTE and--voilla!--it will be there.

Whew!