Check out assistive touch under settings. This is designed for those who may
have a hard time doing such things as pressing the home button. As I understand
it, it makes it possible to activate the home button with a touch on the
screen.  It puts a home button icon on the screen.

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it is a solution. Have you
tried resetting or Restoring the device?