Hi, usually upgrading via iTunes is recommended because it gives you the option of using the actual upgrade file which you can download separately. Sometimes there are some work-arounds which must be done in which are usually having to do with the shsh blobs.

I don't know all the technical reasons, but that's usually it. Also, since you jailbreak using a program you download to your Windows or Mac computer, it will require access to the actual iOS files which you download separately.

Hopefully this helps. I'm definitely looking forward to a jailbroken iOS 6.1 phone although I must say that for the most part I'm still very happy with iOS 5.1.1.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials. - Ronald Knox

Hello Listers,

I am not a jailbreaker, but I thought I briefly share this since I know
it has come up before.

According to Rob from the Today in iOS Podcast an untethered Jailbreak
for iOS 6 is apparently ready and will be released soon. They were
waiting for iOS 6.1 to be released in order to make sure Apple couldn’t
change anything last minute to make it not work. Now that iOS 6.1 is out
the Jailbreak shouldn’t be far behind.

I did just come across something when I was looking for changes and
improvements in iOS 6.1 which said that if you are planning to Jailbreak
you should upgrade via iTunes and not via WiFi. It was just a headline
and I didn’t look into it and since I don’t really know much about
Jailbreaking I can’t say why this would make a difference. But I know
Raul and others who do about this may chime in and in the meantime at
least it may be of use to somebody who is planning to jailbreak and who
hasn’t updated over WiFi yet. At least you can look into this and
confirm whether it is correct.

Groups "VIPhone" group.