I agree with you, I used the Optacon for years in my work, have the sore
shoulder to prove I learned to use computers with the Optacon.  There are
lot of weird fonts, symbols and conventions to print and the only way I
really understood that was after I got the Optacon in 1976.  I could write
printed capital letters fairly well at that time cause mom taught me and we
had the shapes from a children's set to work with but lower case letters
were way different.  Proportional fonts are the hardest to read because each
letter's size is dependent on the size of the letter.  Italics are even more
difficult for me to read because of the way they slant, which obviously
braille does not do.

Odd thing is when I am typing sometimes it is the actual printed letters
that pop up in my head and even though I use a braille display whenever I
can that happens when I look at a report for example and read
HISTORY OF CHIEF COMPLAINT:  Read the braille make me picture this in all
upper case printed letters.

I only wish development had continued on the Optacon, some way not to have
the retina connected and thus no cord to break, a small unit smaller than
the II to make it really portable.  Current models both of them do not
really allow for one to sit in a restaurant buzzing through the menu, I did
it only once to see if I could, but alas the letters were mostly too large.

Sometimes when we get documents in small print I actually read them to my
husband, or did, now we scan so he can enlarge on his screen.

Sometimes I hated the way some people overused font changes, boxes, etc,
sometimes I could certainly see the reason for it but reading tables with
the Optacon is for me slow but tables are not my favorite read for any
document.

As I understand it the preference in many places is one space after a period
now, but my employer still prefers two which is good because I have tried it
with one and never succeed to finish anything that way.  If you use the
proofreading tool in Jaws it always stopped on those periods and I only wish
there were a way to tell it that it is correct for what I am doing.