I originally purchased a keyboard doc for the iPad.  When I called Apple on
Friday, it was stated that that particular keyboard would not work as a
bluetooth keyboard as it was strictly for the iPad.  I think it was called an i
iPad Dock.  I purchased an Apple Wireless keyboard and did pair with Apple TV.
And yes, one can use single letter navigation in many places from within Ale
TV, I think that's the feature I like best.