Dear listers,

When recording in garageband for ios, there's something I encounter that I
don't know how to work right. If you use ios garageband regularly, you may know
the answers. It's about undoing recordings and merging new material in.

When hitting the record button, garageband recoards what you are doing for 8
measures. It's 8 measures, because the default length for a region is 8 bars.
After that, recording stops, the playhead wraps to the beginning of the region,
and you can continue playing, but it won't be recorded any longer.

This situation is not what you want, when attempting to get a track done.
Because once you have recorded something, 4 out of 5 times, you will want to
redo it, because playing on glass is not easy. How do I undo what I just
recorded?

Second, once I know how to undo my recording of the latest region, and then re
recoard it till it's right, can I also merge newly played material with
something already recorded in the region in the current track? It seems that
every time I record the same region on the same track, my new keystrokes will
replace what's already there, while I want to play on top of the existing
region.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have chords needing a left and a right hand. So
I'm not using the automated stuff here, because the chords I have are not the
straight forward ones that garageband has to offer. Therefore, I would like to
first record the right hand, and do that over and over till I get it exactly
right, and then on top of that, record the left hand, blending the left hand
with what was already recorded in the track for the right hand. I need to
merge, because on the iphone you only have 9 hole notes on the glass keyboard,
while the range I want to play spans multiple octaves.

How do you folks handle this situation? Does garageband for the mac handle
recording in the same way the ios garageband does it, like I described above?
If so, how do you go about recording, undoing, re recording a take, and then
merging in new stuff till the region contains what you want?

I'm very curious for your answers, because I've been playing and trying for
some ten days now, hoping the coin would drop in at any moment, but I have not
succeeded so far. Yet it must be possible to create decent things in ios.
Hoping to hear back.

Kind regards,
Paul.