There's a bunch of us use this, it's accessible and does what it says on the
box!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itreadmill-pedometer-ultra/id313242014?mt=8

iTreadmill:Pedometer Ultra w/ PocketStep™

By Ricky Amano

Description

Just start iTreadmill and drop your iPhone/iPod Touch into your pocket. It
will use the accelerometer to accurately measure:
?Step Count
?Distance (miles/km)
?Calories burned
?Current & Average Speed & Pace
?Time elapsed
?Strike Rate (steps/min)
…more info than a real treadmill!
Record your workout while walking the mall, count steps at work/home,
run/walk in the neighborhood,park,track, in the gym on a
treadmill/elliptical. Bad weather? Run in place by your TV!
Goal Setting & Graphs motivate you to reach your fitness goals & beyond!
Some apps are too complex, some too basic. iTM has the right balance of
features & ease of use. At its core is PocketStep™ technology, proven the
most accurate - beating other apps & real pedometers in accuracy tests by
users!
iTM has Distance Correction, which calculates & uses your real stride!
Others use estimated strides.
*Works in your pocket or hand (pls minimize arm swings)! No expensive arm
band/belt clip needed, though it works great with those too!