I don't have the problem where the apps and folders seem to move around
on me while I'm moving an app or a folder. One thing I've found that
helps me is to explore the screen to find out where the apps and folders
I'll be moving are located before I start moving anything. Sounds like
you might already be doing this though.

I do frequently, if not all of the time, see the app I just moved to a
page end up in row one column one of the page.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail