Hi there. Lately I have just been using Ariadne GPS. It is a good provider of
course of what direction you're going in and it is very quick update. It does
not tell you the Street you are about to cross, but if you have the address
mode enabled you will see the address numbers increase or decrease depending on
the direction you're going. In many ways I find that just as useful because you
have an idea of how far you are traveling in any given direction. Plus if the
driver or the automatic system announces the stops, you will start to remember
which hundred block number is associated with which street. I have helped many
people get better acquainted with traveling around, and this is definitely a
useful thing to know. Plus if you are helping others find addresses, you can
let them know how close or how far they are based on which hundred block you
are in. In the larger picture it does not matter so much what the specific
street names are. For example, right now I am in Houston Texas where I do not
know the area as well as other places I have lived in. This is because of the
fact that I have only lived here for a few months. However traveling the buses
around and using Ariadne has given me a better idea of what street names are
where even if I do not know every single street, knowing the major ones has
really helped. The public buses here have an automatic announcement of what
street you are on and what the name of the stop or the cross street is, so that
has helped me in not needing the cross street names quite as much. If I did not
have that information from the bus at South, I would probably try an app like
Navigon or BlindSquare while writing the bus.

I hope that helps.