Hi Neal, yes, this is carrier specific. The only carrier I've used with the
iPhone in the United States is AT&T. But I use the very same phone in New
Zealand, and there, the quality of calls is pretty much indistinguishable from
a landline. In the US on AT&T, it is a much inferior experience and I know the
duplexing issue you're talking about. Carriers have a choice over the codec in
use, how much bandwidth each call takes up. AT&T are squeezing a lot more calls
into the same bandwidth and it sounds absolutely yuck. I've not had any
experience with the other US carriers.

Jonathan