  From: Alan Lemly
  To: viphone@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:32 PM
  Subject: RE: Converting M4A files?

  Debbie, the first step is to get your voice memos transferred to iTunes where
they should be easily convertible to mp3 format using iTunes. The below link
has a good article on how to transfer the voice memos from your phone to iTunes:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/6403/iphone-transfer-voice-memos-from-iphone-to-computer/

  Here is the text from that article:

  The ability to quickly record voice memos on the iPhone is a frequently
overlooked feature. Furthermore, figuring out how to import these files from
your iPhone to your computer can be tricky. Here are a couple of ways of
getting your voice memos off your phone and onto your computer.

  The voice memo feature is very interesting. I've seen it used from everything
to sweet messages to one's spouse to quick voice recorder for lectures or
interviews.

  Once you have a voice memo recorded, there are two main ways of transferring
the voice memo to your computer.

  1. Via iTunes

  iTunes will transfer voice memos once you enable that setting.

  1. Dock your iPhone via USB

  2. Click the name of your iPhone under Devices in the left column

  3. Click the Music tab

  4. Click the checkbox for Include voice memos

  5. Sync your device

  6. Your files will appear under a new Voice Memos playlist

  7. You can right-click on a memo to perform advanced tasks or gain access to
the actual audio file.

  If you are having difficulty, several people in the comments below have
recommended these additional steps:

  - Unplug iphone from the computer after the failed sync

  - In iTunes, select File -> Library -> Organize Library -> Consolidate files

  - Plug in the iphone & sync again.

  2. Direct Share from Phone

  You can also email or MMS the voice memo directly from your phone. If you
only have a few files, emailing them may be a good option.

  1. From the voice memo screen click the silver button in the lower right
corner. This will take you to a list of your voice memos.

  2. Select the voice memo you want to share and press the large blue share
button at the bottom right of the screen.

  3. Select Email or MMS

  Once the voice memo files are in iTunes, you can select them in the song list
and convert them to mp3 under the File menu.

  Alan Lemly