From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sandratomkins
Sent: 30 March 2013 11:48
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Suggestions for StandScan Pro maintenance and usage.

Hallo,

    I thought to make a few observations re maintenance and usage of the SSP
to those of us who have invested in it. i have had mine for a few weeks now
and have noticed the following:

1. Although we get, by far, our best results when using 12 volts, either
with the battery back-up or the mains power, the lights do get warm, even,
hot, if you leave them on when not in use. So, I always unplug mine after
use. This should, not only, add to the life span on the lights, but might be
a sensible safety precaution.

2. Because I am left-handed, I sit my phone on the back left-hand corner,
whereas, I guess, most of you sit yours on the nearer right-hand corner?
Now, this means that my phone is sitting above the lights and, as mentioned
before, this part of the box could get hot if the lights are left on
unnecessarily, plus, I might affect my phone adversely if I leave it sitting
there for too long. So, I think the right-handed ones of us may have an
advantage there, but, this notwithstanding, I would like to suggest that
when you progress from single sheet scanning that, for best results, you
don't scan double pages as this is only reliable toward the centre of the
book, but rather, take one page at a time, holding the side of the book, not
being scanned, vertical, at the front of the box. You can risk putting a
fingertip on the margin of the flat page to ensure that it stays flat, but,
beware, don't cover the text, so only just on the edge. Then, when you want
to scan the other page, how about turning the book round, doing the same?
Now here is my point: both Prizmo and Text Grabber will cope with
upside-down text, but both do better when it is up the right way, so, if you
feel suitably proficient, how about swapping the phone around to the
left-hand position, like me, and take the second shot? Possibly, i have
confused everyone now! Sorry if this is the case, and, really, i am talking
of more advanced use of the SSP and your OCR of choice, so, perhaps, this
suggestion is for those with time on their hands and no love life!!!

3. Protable it is! But durable it isn't! I would suggest that people keep
their SSP in a jiffy envelope when transporting it in a bag/case, not only
because it won't help the scanning if it gets too bent, but also to protect
the connection of the little cable to the lights. Mine has become a little
worn and I have, sometimes, to jiggle the connection to ensure that the
lights come on! So, avoid this if you can.

4. Now, this is a suggestion which, I think, would be very useful in other
apps and applications: Also, useful to our sighted counterparts, to wit: an
extre option in IOS to "append to clipboard". At a single stroke, we could
scan multipage documents and then paste them in our favourite text editor,
in my case, the built-in notes app. So, do people agree that it would be
worth lobbying for this? As I say, it would be most useful to all
iPhone/iPad/Touch users, we would only need for it to be VO friendly.

    5. Last of all, if you like to leave your standscan Pro set up, don't
leave it sitting on your speakers or other source of electrical field, or
you may find your magnets won't work so well for you!

    Finally, (I mean it this time) when the website calims that it is the
work of a few seconds to assemble the box, they are right! They are right in
saying once you have the way of it. Obviously, for us, reaching that point
will take a little longer, but two things happen with practice: 1. You learn
to start with the thing the right way round, either by positioning the flat
pack with the cable sticking out of the top right far corner, or, you stick
a tactile, even a sticky braille lable to assist. It wouldn't hurt the box
to stick a braille or barcode for those who don't read braille, on each of
the flaps to keep you on course.
2. The more often you use the box, the more it naturally folds itself,
especially those little strenthening triangles, so practise won't only help
you, it will also help the box with its "muscle memory!"

    Happy scanning, Sandy.