Hi Alex,
Once your Stand scan is set up properly, you should be facing the
opening.
The document should be placed in the opening print side up with the
top to the left.

The phone should be parallel to the box, with the camera over the
hole. The home button to the right, the sleep, or on -off button to
the left and the volume controls to the front.

The U.S. Penny is 19 mm and the British new penny is a little over 20
mm, so it should also work.  So, once you have the phone roughly in
position use two new pennies to gauge the proper distance from the
front edge of the stand scan to the edge of the iPhone with the volume
switches.

BTW. I am using an iPhone 4 S. I think this will also work with the
iPhone 5, but the iPhone 3G has rounded edges and may be more
difficult to feel.

Chuck