While not having done as much extensive research as Neil, grin, my brother, who
is sighted, says that the screen curtain effectively shuts off the display,
while still making it sensitive to touch, so, the less amount of light being
emitted by the cell phone only stands to reason that it would save battery life.

Having said that, it's been my experience that my battery drops more quickly
when my screen curtain is off doing the exact same thing, as when the screen
curtain is on, so I guess in this respect, the research I did was experiential.
 Smiles.

One can even take this a bit further using a laptop as an effective means of
understanding the concept.

If one puts a laptop side to side with a screen-less note taker, one finds that
the note taker uses up it's battery life a great deal longer than the laptop.
Even if using a laptop compared to a netbook, especially those utilizing a
solid state hard drive, the smaller screen means less in the way of power
needed to form the picture on the screen, especially comparing the 17 inch
screen laptop to the minute 7 to 11 inch netbook screens.

In conclusion, the less power you need to run something, the more battery life
you'll save.  At least that's been my experience.

Victor Gouveia
Vice-President
Training Coordinator
VIP Tech
Tel: 1-(888)-737-1115
Fax: 1-(888)-737-1116
vipt...@rogers.com
victor.gouv...@rogers.com
Limiting Disabilities with Limitless Possibilities