Hi,

    At the bottom of this please finda nice bit of scanning (from an ancient
magazine I found) using Prizmo 2, plus the "find page" and sound feed-back or
whatever it is called.

    I have been rather frustrated trying to get Prizmo to do what it use to do
for me. I could always force a shot and get something from it. So, I tried
turning off the two facilities that are designed to help us centre and hold the
phone at the right height etc. This, however, for me, did not work as Prizmo,
with these 2 options turned off, takes the shot immediately and does not use
the auto focus. So, I turned them on again and persevered. I tried tilting and
moving the phone in accordance with the prompts, but, if i am honest, they
seemed almost random. So, I tapped the "take picture" button, got the guitar
sounds and managed, eventually, to get it to take the shot.

    As you will see from the below sample, the resulting text is fine,but I am
left with great doubts as to how much use all that sound feed-back is, as it
stands. I know, as Krister said, for many people this looks like a marvelous
improvement, my worry is only, does it actually do anything? I would love to
hear that people get it to work for them and to see some good results as a
consequence of using it.

    Meanwhile, here's a free-hand Prizmo offeringignoring   the sound feed-back.

    Sandy.

an interview with

Clare Short MP

the member of parliament for birmingham ladywood talks about her various
campaigns

What's happening now with the Campaign Against Pornography?

Well, it's been through a bit of a crisis in the last few months, as all these
small organisations do, but we've just had the good news that we've received a
grant from the Rowntree Trust, so it's about to have a new lease of life.
We're going to need to assess where we are and how we push on - the last big
campaign was the "Off the Shelf" which lots of women heard about and went out
and

talk of post-feminism is a joke

organised themselves, which is always the best sort of political activity. It
was action which they could take wherever they lived, without having to write
to MPs and all that, and I think that process is very liberating for individual
women, who get the confidence together to say what they've been feeling for
ages, and find that their objection to pornography is mainstream and normal,
and that they share those feelings with most Women. It also frightened WH
Smith's, who did a consultation with their staff, and found that a lot of them
didn't like it. They met with CAP and resolved that if evidence could be
supplied that pornography was destructive in the way we all say and know, then
they would review their policy - that hasn't been followed through, but it will
be pursued.
Clearly, WH Smith's haven't removed pornography from their top shelves, but 1
don't think that means that the Campaign has failed; the argument was taken
much deeper and further. And 1 actually think myself that on the public opinion
front we are beginning to win the argument. Five years ago a woman who
complained about pornography was thought of as screwed up and jealous; now
everybody knows it's mainstream and that that's
and the question is how
what Women think, gains,
to deal with it. We've made great

corridor 18

How do you react to criticisms made, such as the censorship argument and the
views put forward by Feminists Against Censorship?

I myself think that a lot of people who instantly produce the censorship
argument are hiding all sorts of other arguments under that one word. There is
no doubt that the 'Mary Whitehouse'-type campaigns use the emotions that a lot
of women feel about pornography to legitimise a gravely dangerous censorship
agenda. There is'this use of pornography by the Right to legitimise very
serious and destructive censorship. But the people now who are making the
arguments, from feminism and from the Left, are libertarians, and are democrats.
The first question is - are we allowed to object to pornography in our culture
on the grounds that it is offensive and it's misogynist, and liberate the women
who have been feeling so alone that they didn't dare to articulate it?
Then the question is - what measures do we take to deal with it? and the debate
goes on. I think any suggestion that you get one definition of pornography and
then pass legislation saying its illegal, and that you've dealt with it, leads
to all sorts of dangers, because you get a terribly broad definition and it
catches all sorts of other things. Few of us are arguing from that sort of
position. What we are saying is that we need a mixture of legal changes and
administrative changes. For example, the regulations and guidelines of the
advertising standards authority, and questions about pornography being
displayed in the workplace, which is increasingly being recognised as a form of
sexual harassment. And of course a lot of the public debate and demonstrations
and objections to pornography are challenging values that go deep into our
culture. They aren't just about pictures, they are about everything that goes
with them, and which causes there to be such a massive market for it.
There is a small group of women who do think pornography is a good thing, and 1
think they should make their argument. Ours is a two part argument:
1.1s pornography destructive and miso n ? 2' H°w shall we challenge and deal
wigYi~StBut there is this