Hi,

    i just listened to the Podcast on AppleVis introducing the StandScan Pro
and some OCR Apps. I have to admit that if I were new to either the StandScan
Pro or prizmo/Text Grabber/et al, I would not be tempted to try to use my phone
for my scanning needs. At the end, the Presenter (Sorry I didn't catch his
name, but a very nice guy!) did mention that the samples of text he was trying
to OCR were not just plain black text on a white background. Now, as things
stand, I have not found an OCR App that will get usable text from
coloured/white on black/or text printed over images. I would have liked it if
the Presenter had shown us some successful, straight forward examples first,
just to allay people's fears that the system does, indeed, work in everyday,
simple tasks. I know he did say, at the end, that this sort of scanning is very
doable, but the terrible results obtained from the Cookie-Box etc tended to
stick in the mind.

    The long and the short of it is this, we do now, with either Prizmo or Text
Grabber and the StandScan Pro have a usable solution for scanning with the
phone, but perhaps, we should start to Loby the developers of these and other
apps to upgrade their algorythems (I don't know how to spell that and I am not
sure I even know what it means!!!) so that we can start to get info from
packaging/leaflets etc.

    Thoughtful Tomkins.