I am going to try out a device/service that will allow a mobile wifi hotspot
for up to 8 devices, including the Apple devices, laptops, etc.
The company is called FreedomPop.  They sell a device for $39.00 that comes
with 500 megabytes of free data per month, or you can buy plans like 2 GB for
just under $19.00 per month, 4 GB for just under $29, etc.
My intent is to try it with an iPod Touch 5th Generation using a Google Voice
number with Talkatone.
You can return it for a refund within 30 days.
I'm partly trying this out for work, to see if this is a way to get low-cost
phone service when one is away from WiFi.  I'm hoping it will also give access
to get real-time bus information, etc.
I ordered the device on Friday, and hope to have it in my hands at the end of
the week or early next week.
When you read all the details about this service, it says it can take 2 to 3
minutes to find the data network when you first turn it on, so it isn't going
to work for emergencies unless you have it running all the time.  It is
supposed to have about a 6 hour battery life.
Of course, if it is running and you have an app accessing the internet in the
background, you are goign to eat up your data fairly quickly.
But for the spot quick phone call or checking Email or a bus schedule when out
and about, this sounds like an interesting alternative to being tied to a 2
year contract, etc.

I will certainly let the list know once I have had it up and running for a
while.

Later,
Richard

Richard
(Sent from Richard's iPod Touch 5th gen)