I've found Google Maps to work with VoiceOver with one glaring exception. The start button became invisible to VoiceOver at some point. I get around this by turning off VoiceOver, after setting up the route, and tapping in the lower right hand corner of the screen. I reported this to Google a while ago, so maybe it's been fixed.

Note, I still use Google Maps because I find it to be the easiest of the free GPS apps to find locations. It's probably user error on my part with Apple Maps though. Apple Maps and MapQuest are other free alternatives to Google Maps. I'm not sure if they'll be available in all of the places you're traveling though.