Hi, I think it also depends on whether you are the kind of person who drops things or if you have bad luck of being around people who do. For me it's a situation with all my electronics that I rarely drop them, and in 90% of the cases I've been able to resell my used electronics in like-new condition. When I had the iPhone 3GS, it was my first ever iPhone and I used the Otter Box case on it from the first day I had it until the last day when i sold it. The guy who bought it from me was impressed and mentioned that had I told him it was a brand new phone which had never been used, he might have believed me. Now with the iPhone 4S I started out with the Otter Box case for it as well but quickly got annoyed with the design on the 4. I've said on this list that I think Otter Box dropped the phone on that one. So, I did some research and since I am not prone to drops and spills on my stuff and since I want to have something which doesn't add too much bulk, I went with the s-pattern TPU cases which I've written about here on list many times. I think that Neil from the UK also recommended the Tech 21 TPU cases and from what I know, those are very good as well even though I've not actually purchased one myself.

So, bottom line, get what feels right for you. If you then come across someone who dropped their phone and broke it and it didn't have a case, then you can feel better that you got one for you.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
I wish I could mute people in real life. - Sheldon Cooper