Do you have to upgrade a phone to upgrade an operating system?

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Chris H
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:11 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: few interesting things in IOS 7

Well carriers may hate this but unlike the competitor there's nothing they
can do as Apple has full control over the hardware and software. I am
looking forward to the Facetime audio feature as well but do wonder if we
all have to use iOS 7 in order to take advantage of this or will it be
backwards compatible so say you make a Facetime audio call to somebody who
is still on iOS 6 would it perhaps disable the video at theirs as well as my
end who knows. I hope so as not everybody can be expected to upgrade to iOS
7. Just my £0.02 worth anyway.

Chris