Hello Jed and all:

There are a couple of answers to this question.

First, if you are messaging someone who is online, FB messenger works like the
regular message on the iPhone if you have read receipts turned on. If you send
a message to someone and they read it, voiceover will say something like "seen
at" and then show a time.

Second, if you send a message to someone who is not online and you leave to go
do something like sleep or grab a snack … there is no way that I know of that
you are able to tell when they read the message. again, similar to the
messaging app on the iPhone.

Hopefully this proves useful to you. Please let us know.

Take good care and I wish you enough.

Patrick