Hi Alan,

Apple has made it very easy to delete single songs, entire albums or the
music from an entire artist from your device. All you have to do is open the
Music app, select your view, e.g. Songs, Albums, Artist etc. then find what
you want to delete and flick down or app with a single finger. Voiceover
will say "Delete", then double tap once anywhere and the item is gone.

Apple has implemented the Action Rotor feature here just like in the Mail
app, so when you flick up or down you change the rotor from Default to
Delete and once delete is selected a single finger double tap will do the
trick. After this the rotor automatically goes back to the default behavior
which means if you double tap on another song, it would play that song or,
if it's an artist or album, it would open it.

Prevent iPod's, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically" in Edit,
Settings and the Device tab of iTunes
Checking this or not has no effect on what is being synced. What this does
is simply prevent any iDevice from starting a sync when it is connected to
the computer which is the default behavior.
There is another option when you have your iPhone or other iDevice
connected, it is under the Summary tab (which is the default tab) and it is
called "Open iTunes when this Device is connected. If you deselect this,
automatic syncing for that particular device will be disabled, but if you
only have one iDevice then that is the same as if you select the option
under Preferences, Device tab to prevent automatic syncing of all iDevices.
Below is the official explanation from Apple along with the link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1764?viewlocale=en_US

If you've set up automatic syncing, iTunes syncs your device by default
whenever you connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to your computer.
If you don't want iTunes to sync your device without being prompted, you can
change this setting.

You can prevent unprompted syncing for any specific iPod, iPhone, or iPad;
or for all iPod, iPhone, or iPad devices you connect to your computer.

To prevent unprompted syncing for a specific iPod, iPhone, or iPad:
1. Connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to your computer.
2. In iTunes, select your device (below Devices).
3. Click Summary, and then deselect "Open iTunes when this Device is
connected."

To prevent unprompted syncing for all iPod, iPhone, and iPad devices:
1. In iTunes, choose iTunes > Preferences.
2. Click Devices.
3. Select "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically."

If this checkbox is selected, any connected iPod, iPhone, or iPad won't sync
without being prompted.
To sync your iPod, iPhone, or iPad when unprompted syncing is disabled,
connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to your computer, and then choose File >
Sync "Device Name" in iTunes, or click your device (below Devices) and then
click Sync.

OK, back to a bit more info from myself:

What is actually being synced will be determined by whether you check "Sync
entire music library" or "Sync Selected artists, playlists and genres" which
can be found after you connect your device, click on it in iTunes (or select
it from the sidebar if you have it enabled) and check the Music button/tab.
If you now tab through the selections you find these options. The "Sync
selected artists, playlists and genres" also allows you to select alubums
even though albums are not mentioned.

For Shannon it sounds like the proper selection would be the second one.
once that is checked, you can tab to where you get a treeview of your
playlists, artists, genres and albums and you can now arrow through these
lists and check anything you like. Assume you have 3 Dire Straits albums,
"Dire Straits", "Love over Gold" and "Brothers in Arms", you could check
Dire Straits in the artists treeview and it would then sync all 3 albums. If
you only want "Love over Gold" and "Brothers in Arms" to sync, then make
sure you uncheck Dire Straits in the artists treeview, tab to the album
treeview and find those 2 albums and check them.

This method to sync a selection of your music is very flexible. You
mentioned, Alan, that you prefer to manage your music instead of a turnkey
solution, well, basically you are doing that if you use this method. This is
no different than using Windows Explorer and copying certain folders with
albums or artists to a device like a VictorReader Stream except that it is
in fact more powerful and more efficient. Instead of having to copy each
folder, you just go through these treeviews, check everything you want and
then tab to "Apply" and press it to start the syncing process.
This is also completely accessible, you can tab back and forth between these
different treeviews for playlists, artists, genres and albums, you can arrow
nicely through the names listed in each and check or uncheck items using the
spacebar (all the checkboxes speak properly).
If you add more music to your library down the road and want to sync it to
your device, all you have to do is find it in the artists or albums treeview
and check it, then sync. If you buy it from iTunes and have automatic
downloads for music enabled on your iDevice in Settings, iTunes and App
Stores, then it will download to your iDevice automatically. If your iDevice
is extremely full already you may want to make sure that you turn off
automatic downloads for music so that you can manage it completely by
yourself using iTunes.