Well, you only hear the hints after a bit of a pause, so I find it doesn't bother me as far as overall VoiceOver verbosity is concerned.

I also find it analogous to those apps that use the number of items bubble to let you know things like what temperature it is.

Who knows, maybe we'll get more granularity in IOS 7.