I took the suggestion and wrote Apple accessibility regarding the refund
issue.  Their response seems reasonable to me although I would prefer to
know in advance myself.  It took several days to receive this answer so it
may not be a cookie cutter.  I'm encouraged.

  Hello,

Thank you for your email and feedback. We have looked into this issue and
while a credit was issued to Sieghard, the response used did cause
confusion. We will work with the iTunes Store Support to ensure that the
correct information is sent back when a refund is issued.

Curently any user can use the "Report a Problem" link from their iTunes
Account purchase history, or contact iTunes Store Support via the web to
request a refund for an app they may have purchased that does not work as
expected with VoiceOver.

Apple Accessibility