Hello Kay and others,

I am only an occasional visitor to the United States from Canada, but as far
as I know there is no reason why you shouldn't shop around once your
contract is done and you want to keep your phone for another year or 2. You
might even want to check with T-Mobile since they have some very
attractively priced plans. Here is my thought on getting a subsidized phone:

Facts/assumptions:
1. AT&T charges $199, $299 and $399 for the iPhone 16, 32 and 64 Gb,
respectively, if you buy it on a 2-year plan.
2. These phones at full price are $650, $750 and $850 respectively at full
price, so regardless which phone you buy, you get a $450 discount on your
phone.
3. Over the duration of a 2-year contract, this $450 saving translates into
$18.75 per month.

Conclusion:
If you can find a plan where if you bring a non-contract, unlocked phone to
the table, you pay at least $20 a month less than what AT&T offers you at
the time you get the subsidized phone and if you can afford to spend the
extra $450 up front, then in my opinion anybody is better off to just buy
the phone and go with the cheaper plan. Paying $20 a month less means over 2
years you save $480 which means your save your additional $450 investment +
$30.
This way you have full control over your phone, maybe a year down the road
you find an even cheaper plan and if you own your phone and are on a
month-to-month contract you can switch plans or go to a different provider
at any time.
Lastly, if you want to sell your phone it is already unlocked which makes it
more valueable and easier to sell. AT&T will unlock the phone after your
contract is over, but it's one less thing you have to do and maybe in a year
the next iPhone is so super cool that you really want to get it, but you
can't because you are stuck in a contract, no problem if you own your phone.