I have actually read that Sprint has no ability to unlock the sim slot for use in the states. The unlock would only work overseas. On the other hand, I think some settlement made it that Verizon leaves their IPhone 5 sim unlocked, so if you got a used one, you can just put in any sim and start using it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kelly Pierce" <kellyt...@gmail.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2013 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: Unlocking a Sprint 4S

Once off contract, consider pushing hard on the Sprint folks again.  I
know someone who is with AT&T and he needed to talk to someone at a
higher corporate level to finally authorize the unlocking of the
phone.  If Sprint won't budge, then consider a jailbreak to accomplish
what you want.  I can't say more by e-mail because Congress has
declared cell phone unlocking a crime punishable by imprisonment.

Kelly