Also, for the person who asked a while back, my main problem with
theOldReader and several others I tried, was the update frequency.  Sorry to
post twice.  I should have thought a little more before sending.

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Craig Werner
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:03 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: PC Mag Buying Guide Article on RSS Readers

Thank you, Alan, for posting this article.  Here are some comments about the
readers it mentions that I know something about.

When looking for an RSS reader, the most important question, of course, is
whether it is supported by an accessible iPhone or iPad app.  Many are not.

The Old Reader is supported via the Feeddler and Feeddler Pro apps.
It is currently in transition, having recently migrated to a much more
powerful server environment.  It looks as if it is going to remain a free
service, but some feeds do not update frequently.  This may not be a problem
if you are reading it for blogs, which are not posted often.  However, if
you are looking for breaking news, whose content refreshes often, you may
wish for a service that updates more frequently.  It may be that as The Old
Reader grows, update times will be more frequent.

Feedly has its own app, but despite significant efforts on the part of
AppleVis users, it is still not fully accessible.  Fortunately, you can
access a Feedly account through the Newsify app, which is very
VoiceOver-friendly.  This app is currently free although it used to be a
paid item.

The article mentions a Digg app for the iPhone.  I don't know if it has been
tested for VoiceOver compatibility.  A check on AppleVis might be helpful.

If you're looking for an RSS app that allows logons from accounts from
different services, the free Feeddler or the paid Feeddler Pro may be the
way to go.  You can choose to use accounts from The Old Reader, BazQux,
FeedHQ, or InoReader.  Google Reader is still on the accounts list even
though the service shut down on July 1.

If you're looking for an app that does not depend on remote servers,Lire is
an excellent option.  It has been developed by a software designer keenly
aware of the needs of VoiceOver users; in fact, he actually does extensive
testing using VoiceOver.

Craig