Hi, you can do the following since you already have a gmail account.

1. Create a new shared calendar from the calendar site of google. this is of course under your own account sign in. Call it whatever you want, hubby-wife is a good example.

2. Invite your husband's gmail address. Assuming he has one. if not, get him one.

3. Give him access to both read and write to this shared calendar. That way even though its your calendar, he can see the events you post, and he can add his own as well.

4. From your iOS devices, go to Settings, then Mail, Contacts, and Calendar and add the calendar account. You do this by choosing Add, then Other, then CalDAV. In the username and password you give it your own user name and password for your gmail account. Do the same on his iOS device, but give it his gmail user name and password. One thing to keep in mind is if you already have your gmail account setup for mail on your phone, go into that settings and turn off calendars. This way you have a specific calendar entry.

5. From each of your iPhones bring safari and visit the page https://m.google.com/sync/settings/ and sign in with your own gmail account. This will show a list of calendars. Check the ones you want to share. Of course you want to have the new calendar you created checked.

A few notes. The reason I suggest creating your own new calendar to share rather than just sharing your default is because this gives you the chance to add your own events which don't need to be shared. What if you use your calendar for pill reminders or a reminder to take the trash out. I would imagine that your husband doesn't need to know that you are out taking the trash, but I'm just guessing. The same is true for him, with his own personal calendar. Now, when you need to enter appointments which do matter, like a doc appointment, or be ready for the lawn service, or whatever, then you would enter those into the shared calendar. From the iPhone settings you can make the shared calendar the default. That way when you add new entries, by default they will go to the shared one. This way both your and your husband have access to the same calendar.

The steps for this seem convoluted, but really are not too bad. i also didn't give specifics on where to go in the web site, so hopefully you can navigate this ok. I use Firefox and Window-Eyes on Windows 7 and can do it.

Good luck.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Most of my mornings consist of me trying to avoid any human interaction. - Sheldon Cooper