Don't forget that in addition to the time it takes you to compose a message and wait for the responses, you have the bandwidth of that message going out to 2000 list members, the time it takes for them to read the message, the time it takes those to respond, the bandwidth of those responses, the time it takes those 2000 list members to read duplicate responses and so on.

I'm not saying people shouldn't post questions. People definitely should, and as you said, there are lots of helpful people here willing to answer questions. I consider using the list archive to be like learning to use Google. With practice and experience it becomes easier and easier to use. With very few exceptions, it's much easier for me to find what I'm looking for with a quick Google search than it is to ask a question on a list. Taking the time to learn how to search the list archives should be considered an investment. It's like learning how to fish instead of just asking for a fish.

IMHO, no one should hesitate to ask a question, but people should be aware that anything they put on the list is going to 1500 list members or more, so they should realize that it isn't free and of course they should be considerate of other list members.

On 09/09/2013 07:39 AM, Joseph FreeTech wrote:
Depends, depends, depends. (no not those depends). <Smile>.

Some will find the archives quicker, but others will find them a
headache--especially if there is a problem with lots of crashing. In the
mean time, there are nearly 2000 listers here who will undoubtedly answer
the simple questions within minutes.

Thanks for correcting me on the name of the Google archives.

Joseph

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raul A. Gallegos" <r...@raulgallegos.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 5:14 AM
Subject: Re: need help with what search term to use in the archives

Hi, just a few corrections, the archive page is not a Google Groups
archive page, it's from Mail Archive dot com. Second, you say it's time
consuming, but isn't it more time consuming to write a message and wait
for someone to respond?

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Instagram is basically Twitter for people who can't read. - Sheldon Cooper