Hi James,

Audible did this on my 4S with iOS 6 as well sometimes. However, in my case
Voiceover would usually say "Screen dimmed" and normally shortly after one
would expect it to say "Screen Locked" and then that's that. However, when
it did this it would continue to say Screnn Dimmed maybe every 30 or 40
seconds and the only way to shut it up was for me to manually press the
power button to lock the screen.

I just experimented on my 4S, I played an Audible book and left focus in the
app, but it behaved as it should, after a while it said "Screen Dimmed" and
shortly after "Screen Locked". I left it playing for about 2 minutes and the
screen remained dead with only the book playing.
I then did the same but instead of leaving the app open I exited to the home
screen, then waited while the book was playing and Voiceover would again say
Screen Dimmed and a bit later Screen Locked and all was good.
It appears that pressing a volume button on the phone or the headset brings
the screen to live somewhat because if the screen is locked and I raise or
lower the volume, Voiceover will say "Screen Locked" after just a few
seconds even though when you touch the screen during that time it does not
react. I will have to ask a sighted person whether you can actually see
maybe the Playback controls and volume at that point or not. If the screen
remains black then this Voiceover "Screen Locked" message is a bug.

Sorry that I couldn't help more, maybe try to remove all apps from the app
switcher and reboot your phone if you haven't done so already.