I did have this happening a bit in iOS 6 with my 4S and it can be hardware
related since there is a proximity sensor in the phone. However, it might be
a bit worse in iOS 7 although there haven't been many people reporting this
from what I have seen. Anyhow, there is nothing you can really do except
that you can of course avoid it by using a headset or I guess you could turn
Voiceover off with a triple click home before you pick up the call, but then
of course using a 2-finger double tap wouldn't work to pick up the call and
the triple click home to turn off Voiceover doesn't work after you pick it
up.
On my 4S I find that it often happens right at the beginning of the call and
after a few seconds it sort of settles down. I have a 5S on the way and
hopefully it won't be an issue with it.

I would report it to Apple Accessibility if you are sure this never happened
before you upgraded. In fact, if you agree with the way I feel, I would
probably suggest that they take this automatic switching out of Voiceover
completely. It's easy enough for example in apps like Skype to switch to
speakerphone by tapping on the Speakerphone button and I don't see why we
can't do this like anybody else with the regular Phone app. I am sure Apple
thought they want to make this easy for a blind person so they don't have to
find the Speakerphone button, but if anything they could implement a "Shake
to Switch" feature or maybe a custom gesture would be possible, like drawing
an "S:" during a call would toggle speakerphone.
.