Having investigated a bit further:
1. To avoid the download completely, turn off Wifi when connecting the
charger (locked/unlocked is irrelevant as far as I can tell, without more
tests and wasting of space);
2. To restore any space taken by the download, I reckon we should await the
next iOS7 update, start the download, let it switch to the new update,
which it will start from scratch, and then disconnect the power to stop it,
which seems to be what happened with me yesterday.

I reckon it had previously more or less finished downloading 7.0, but on
resuming, it started from scratch with 7.02, and I am assuming it deleted
the iOS7.0 download.  Might be useful?