Hi Shane,

Yes, it is necessary to first restore a jailbroken device to it's original
state so to speak before you can upgrade to a new version of iOS. Anyhow,
sounds like things are back on track for you.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Shane clark
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 1:03 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com; accessible-...@freelists.org
Subject: Restoring and updating a jailbroken iPad

Hi all,
So I tried to update my wife's jailbroken iPad to the newest iOS software,
and I got an error message with the number six or something beside it saying
that the iPad couldn't be updated. I unplugged it and when I pluged it back
in, it said the iPad was in recovery mode. Then it said that I had to
restore the iPads software before proceeding to the update.
Is this how it normally works when trying to update or restore A jailbroken
iPad? Should I have done something different, or are these the steps that
you take in doing this? And what exactly is recovery mode, and how do you
enter into it? I just got a message saying that the iPad software had been
restored back to factory settings, so I think I'm on the right track. But
just curious on how this works, because I've never done this before. I
called Apple, and of course I knew that they weren't going to be of much
help since the iPad is jailbroken, but the guy that answeredthe phone once I
mentioned it was jailbroken, sort of had a for lack of a better phrase,
smart ass tone in his voice when he said that would be the reason why you
can't update. Maybe try a restore but I really can't help you any further.
So I figured I would reach out to you all about it...
Thanks for any and all input regarding this.
Shane.