I am used to not having a mute button, as I use an iTouch 5, but I'd use one if
it were included. IOS7 has made things a bit easier with fewer flicks or volume
button pushes. Now I just use the three-finger double-tap to turn speech off
and once I put sounds in the rotor, I turn those off with one flick, as well.

Teresa