Hi Teresa,

The top row is easy, it has a total of 14 keys. The very top left is Escape,
then there is F1 to F12 and the very top right is your show/hide keyboard
button. If you, for example, have the Apple Wireless keyboard connected to your
iPhone and then go into an edit field, chances are your virtual keyboard will
be hidden and you have to press that top right button so it shows up on the
screen.

At the bottom is, of course, the spacebar in the middle. On the right side of
the spacebar are only 2 keys and then you have the arrows (inverted T shape)
with left arrow, down arrow and right arrow across the bottom and up arrow at
the top by itself.
The 2 keys between the spacebar and the left arrow are Command (what is Alt on
a Windows keyboard) and Option.
On the left you have 4 keys to the left of the spacebar. Once again right to
the left and closest to the spacebar you have Command and next to it Option
(just as on the right side).
The third key from the spacebar (second from the outside) is Control and the
very outside is I think FN (Function) and I'm not sure what it all can do as I
never use it.

The Control and Option key pressed together are the Voiceover Key and one good
way to explore your keyboard is to press Control+Option+K. This starts keyboard
help and now you can press any key and Voiceover will tell you what it is
except it won't say anything for the function keys.
Here is I know what they do:

F1: Decreases screen brightness
F2: Increases screen brightness

F7: Skip Back during playback, hold it and it rewinds
F8: Play/Pause
F9: Skip Forward, hold it and it fast forwards
F10: Mute/Unmute toggle
F11: Volume down
F12: Volume up

It's a good idea to turn on keyboard help with Control+Option+K, then hold down
Control+Option and try various letters to see what they do.
For example:

Control+Option+H: Like pressing the home button
Control+Option+F: Find item that matches search text
Control+Option+S: Speech On/Off toggle, like a 3-finger double tap

Enjoy,
Sieghard
 and On the very outside is Control, then I think is a FN (Function) key and
then Command and Option again with Option right next to the spacebar.