Hi Dan,

Turning screen curtain on does not affect the brightness setting because the
way screen curtain works is that it makes the screen black. You can turn
brightness all the way down to 0, the will safe you the most battery, but a
sighted person can still read the screen, just not so good and in bad light
they might not be able to read it at all.

It is a misconception by some people that they think turning screen curtain
off is equal to turning the brightness way down and that this saves battery.
Brightness refers to the amount of LED backlighting of the screen. The more
brightness the more backlighting and the easier it is to see the screen.
Turning on the screen curtain will not turn out the brightness hence it will
not turn down the amount of LED backlighting hence no battery saving. Think
of it this way: you can have a room brightly lit, if you look in from the
outside you would see everything. Now imagine turning the lights lower and
lower in the room, as you look in from the outside you see less and less,
but even with the lights off completely you might see some things in the
room if it's light outside and some light comes in through the window. Now
picture the same room with the bright lights and heavy black-out curtains
drawn. You can see nothing even though the lights in the room are on. This
is how screen curtain works, as the name very accurately reflects, it's like
a curtain which is drawn across the screen except in this case it's a
curtain of black pixels.

I wrote to Apple accessibility about this at one point and officially was
told that turning screen curtain on has no battery saving affect, those who
say otherwise are probably those who would think their headache has gone
away because somebody gave them a sugar pill and said it wasa Tylonol
*smile*, in other words, it would be a psychological battery saving.