That is correct, once your contract is up your carrier is as far as I know
obligated to unlock your phone if you request it. Once it is unlocked you
could put in any SIM Card and it would work.

Actually, here in Canada you can request an unlock 90 days after you sign up
for a contract. Of course this does not mean you can then take the phone to
another carrier and get out of your contract, but if for example you travel
to another country where you might want to buy a SIM from a local provider
than youcan do that.

You can also buy an unlocked phone which is what I am doing. Of course you
have to pay the full price for the phone, but in North America this can work
out to your advantage if you can find an MVNO which offers you a really good
deal. I get my service from a company called Koodo here in Canada. They are
actually owned by Telus who is one of the 3 major carriers, but their prices
are much lower. I pay $50 for unlimited calling, texting, voice mail, call
display and 2 Gb of data. I would pay approx. $35 a month more for the same
from Telus which means over a 24 months contract I would pay $840 more. Add
to that the $439 Canadian I would pay for a subsidized 64 Gb iPhone 5S and
my total cost for the phone on contract is $1,279. Buying the phone unlocked
directly from Apple with no contract cost me $919 Canadian, so $360 less. I
also have an unlocked phone without contract so if 6 months down the road
another MVNO offered a better deal I could just switch to them. I pay more
upfront, but less overall and I can do as I please with my phone.